Naftalan is the city in the west of Azerbaijan, located 330 km from Baku and with population of
10 000 people.
Petroleum which people call as Naftalan is extracted from only one place in Azerbaijan - in the central part of the country, not far from Ganja. Naftalan oil is famous in the world as the exclusive means with healing properties of bone - joint, skin, gynecological diseases and urological diseases, nervous, gynecological, and urological and skin diseases, as well as liver diseases, rheumatic joints, and soft tissues outside of the support apparatus.
Specified city takes its name from the oil, "naftalan", which comes from Azeri as "neft alan" (the buyer of petroleum). In its raw form, Naftalan oil is used for therapeutic baths, known as balneotreatment. Therapeutic Center in Naftalan has special treatment tubs for this type of therapy.
Naftalan is very effective for many kinds of medical treatment. Naftalan has been used over the centuries as an earth oil tretament. Naftalan helped to return health to thousands of people, who seemed to be hopelessly ill. Naftalan is a gift of the Azerbaijani land enriched with "black gold" of earth. As the wise men said -" it is the arterial blood of the Earth, that gives us the power of life". The use of Naftalan oil has long centuries history. In mid XX-th century Naftalan became a resort well known all over the former Soviet Union. In modern times the new scientific achievements of petroleum chemistry, increased the scope of Naftalan applications. In the late 1990's the resort was reconstructed to become even more popular in the over the world.
|Direction and distance from Baku in km.|
By auto road: by buses, minibuses or passenger cars
Length: Baku - Naftalan (city center) = about 345 km.
Length of routes within the region:
Ganja - Naftalan = about 60 km.
Naftalan - Geran (railway station) = 25 km.
From Baku by rail:Baku-Yevlakh-Geran is about 7 hours
Flights and transfers
Flight: Baku - Ganja is offered daily. Flight time is approximately 40-50 minutes
Transfer from Ganja to Naftalan by bus or by car = about 1 - 1.5 hours.
1. Natural Reserve "Gey-Gel ":
2. Geological excursion in and around the Adjikend village (the old field ornamental stone "Agate"), and to the around of mountain village Chiragdara (deposits of pyrite).
3. Excursion to the fish farm near the village of Chaykend in the Gey -Gel area.
|Museums and exhibitions|
1. The crutches museum in Naftalan city
1. Archaeological excavations at the so-called "Uch Tepe" - the Royal burial mounds(beginning of period bronze)
2. Pottery kiln (VII c.)
3. Necropolis (VII-IX cc..) and (XI-XIII cc.)
4. Craft quarter (VII-XII cc.)
5. A set of craft workshops "Kharabat Yori» (IX-XIII cc.)
6. Ancient burial mounds (Late Bronze Age), in the north-west of the country
7. Carvan seray palace (XV c.)
8. Market place (XVI-XVII cc.)
9. The ruins of the palace of the ruler of the city (XV c.). Ethnographic villages centers, shopping malls and oriental bazaars
10. Excursion to Gey- Gel (former Helenendorf - the settlement of German colonists
of Baden-Württemberg in X1X -XX cc.)
11. Ethnographic excursion to one of the mountain villages of Gey- Gol region (Zurnabad, Tyulyallyar or Azgilli) - a place of settlement ethnographic group of Azerbaijan people - "Ayrum."
|Tours and excursions|
1. Tour from Naftalan to Ganja city
2. Tour from Naftalan to Gey Gel city
3. Tour from Naftalan to Barda city