Guba is district stretches from the northeastern mountainsides of Great Caucasus and Guba city located in the northeastern mountainsides of Shahdag mountain at the height of 600m above the sea level on the bank of Gudial chay. Guba has its own university and center of the carpet weaving. The history of Guba city origins from the village of Gudial. Guba khanate was established in the mid of XVIII c. In one's time famous French writer Alexander Dumas, eminent Russian orientalist Berezin, famous Norwegian scientist-traveler Tur Hayerdal, visited Guba.
Many historical monuments have been saved in the city outskirts.
There are also a lot of picturesque nooks of nature in the region.
Fatalikhan settlement (the former in Soviet time "Krasnaya Sloboda" - by English: Red Settlement) is a settlement and municipality in the Quba region - jewish settlement outside of Israel. It is the primary settlement of Highland Jews, who make up the population of more than two approximately 4,000. The history of living the Highland Jews in Azerbaijan has two thousand years. And here, in the Hebrew Settlement they live 285 years. The Highland Jews had been in the area around Quba since 13 th century, the formal creation of Krasnaya Sloboda is traced back to the 18th c.).
Khinalig vilage - is unique Alpine village of Khinalig in the territory of the district. The village is situated 65 km to the regional center at the height of 2500 m above the sea level. There are 380 houses and 3000 citizens in the village. Village citizens compose separate ethnographic group and speaks its own language, which is not used anywhere else in the world. The Khinalig citizens maintained their language and old traditions, customs. Fire-worshipper temple in the village of
Khinalig (IX century), octagonal mausoleum in the village of Agbil (XVI century), Pirbanovsha that is considered sanctuary among the people living here will become of travelers' interest. Khinalig is one of the most important components of the bright and picturesque image of Guba district.
|Direction and distance from Baku in km.|
Аuto road : by buses , minibuses or passenger cars.
Distance and Length:
a) Baku - Guba / bus / = about 170 km.
b) Baku – Gusar / bus / = about 185 km.
c) Guba - Gusar = about 15 km.
d) Guba - Khinalig = about 70 km.
e) Gusar - Winter complex "Shahdagh" = about 32 km.
|Tips for Travelers|
Where to stay
High class hotels:
1.SPA Centr "Barpa " 4 * - at the entrance to the city of Guba
2.Tourist Complex "Rixos" 4-5 * - near the village Nugadi (Guba region)
Tourist class hotels:
1. "Olympic Center" 3-4 * - at the entrance to the city
2. Hotel "Terrace" 3 * - near Gechresh recreation area
3.Tourist Complex "Dzhyannyat Bagi" 3 * - 12 km. to the south-west from Guba,
|Where to go on a tour or to hike|
1.Tour of historical destiny of the small people –ride (1 hour) in the Fatalikhan settlement / former “Krasnaya Sloboda” / - place of compact residence of Azerbaijani Jews Tats, the so-called Mountain Jews
2. Excursion (1-3 days) in the ethnographic reserve "Khinalig" - the only place of settlement of ancient peoples' Kötschach "/" Khinaligs "/ with a unique language and way of life (one of the 26 indigenous native tribes of ancient and the medieval state of Caucasian Albania);
3. Hike from the Khinalig village to the sanctuary "Ateshgyah" (15 km.) to the natural fire exit at the foot of a rocky mountain Balta Guy
4. Excursion (1 day) "Tengi Canyon and Afurdzhi waterfall" in the vicinity of Tengialty and Afurja villages ( 35 km. from Guba city)
5.Hiking, trekking, rock climbing and horse-riding trip to the National Park Shahdagh
|What to visit|
Monuments of history and architecture
1. 8-sided mosque "Juma» (XVIII c.) with the new minaret
2. Mosque "Sakina Khanum" (1854)
3. Ancient bridge(XVIII c.) over the Gudialchay river / between the Guba town and the Fatalikhan village
4. Mosque with interesting dome and minaret, in the village Nugady
5. Converted Bath (XVIII c.) in Guba
1. Canyon between Gudialchay river and basin "Gyambya" / 45 km. to the south-west of the Guba city
2. Hot sulfur springs (folk baths) "Istisu" in the area of settlements:. Haltan, and Hashi. Jimi
3. Waterfall "Sutek» (h = 35 m) to the south-east of the Afurja village
4. Natural Remedies natural combustible gas near Khinalig and Jack settlements
5. Location of the High-Sanctuary "Hezre Pir Baba" on the top of Babadag Mountain (3629 m)
|Museums and exhibitions|
The Local History Museum in Guba
Ethnographic villages centers, shopping malls and oriental bazaars
1. Alpine settlement (2200 - 2300 m above sea level) - Khinalig settlement ("Ketsh"), /70 km south-west of the Guba city/
2. Alpine village (1800 - 1900 m above sea level)- Jack /55 km south-west of the town of Guba/
3.The Fatalikhan settlement /"Krasnaya Sloboda"/ - place of compact residence of Azeri "Mountain Jews" in Guba city
|Guba Region (37 excursion objects)|
- Survey excursion (1-2 hours) in Guba city and its nearest vicinities (Nugedi settlement I, “Gechresh” recreation zone, Fatali Khan / former Krasnaya Sloboda and others);
- Excursion (1 hour) on Canning factory in Guba region;
- Excursion “Guba is the edge of gardens” - a trip (2 hours) to the Scientific Research Institute of Gardening, its skilled garden facilities, and also in Gardening college;
- Excursion “ Historical destiny of small people – tats-jews in Azerbaijan” – 1 hour trip to Fatali Khan settlement / former Krasnaya settlement (Red), or Jewish, Sloboda / - a place of compact residing of Azerbaijan Jews, so-called, Mountain Jews, with survey of restored and restoration synagogues;
- 1 day’s excursion “Tengi Canyon and Afurdja waterfall” in vicinities of Tengialti and Afurdja settlements in Velvlichay river head;
- 1 day’s excursion “The Exotic Canyon of the Gudialchay river”;
- A cave “Bay Emi Akkon” in area of Kukesh Gerden pass at high-mountainous settlement Jack;
- A place of an output of combustible gas “Ateshgeh” in area of a television retransmitter in tract “Telimbe dere” at Jack settlement;
- Excursion to the Olympic sports complex in Guba city;
- 1 hour’s excursion to the historical-study of local lore museum of the Guba city;
- Excursion (1-3 days) to ethnographic reserve “Khynalyg” – high-mountainous settlement Khinalig / Ketid / in Gudialchay / Dam-Dam Nka riverheads - a unique place of moving of an ancient nationality “Ketsh” / “Khinaligtsi” / with unique language and a life (one of 26 radical native tribes of the antique and medieval state – Caucasian Albania); RE-radial exit – 15 km by foot for 1 day to “Ateshgeh” sanctuary to a natural Fire output – small deposit of Combustible Slates – at the bottom of Balta Gaya rocky hill;
- Excursion (1-2 days) in high-mountainous settlements Griz, Jack and Khapit - "Griz" a place of moving of an ancient nationality / “Griztsi”, “Jektsi”, “Khapitlintsi” / (descendants one of 26 radical native tribes of the ancient state Caucasian Albania);
- Excursion (1-2 days) in high-mountainous settlements Budug, Daligaya – a place of moving of an ancient nationality “Budug” / “Budugsi” / (descendants of one of 26 radical native tribes of the ancient state the Caucasian Albania);
- Excursion (2 days) in high-mountainous settlements Ruk, Garhun, Adur – a place of moving of turkish speaking Azeri-mountaineers;
- Excursion (1-2 days) in mountain settlements Erfi, Talish, Derk – a place of moving of turkish speaking ethnographic groups of Azerbaijan people;
- Excursion (1-2 days) in mountain settlement Hashi and to thermal mineral sulfuric sources “Istisu” (two equipped in the national way of a spring, one of which refers “Mail hamami”);
- Excursion (1-2 days) in mountain settlement Djimi and to a thermal mineral sulfuric source “Istisu” (the spring-bath equipped by local residents with extensions for residing);
- Excursion (2 days) in high-mountainous settlements Haltan, Nutakh (on road, after descent from Girve pass - survey of a sanctuary “Pir Shihali Baba”) and to thermal mineral sulfuric sources “Istisu” (2, equipped by local residents, a spring-baths with names “Shakh Abbas hamami” and “Gadin hamami”, and also to a sanctuary “Pir Direku Baba”);
- Excursion (2-3 days) in the most remote, in the given region, mountain settlements Rengdar, Harko, Muchu in a place of moving of Iranian speaking nationalities of "tats-muslims" of ethnographic group of Azerbaijan people;
- Excursion (1-2 days) in the high-mountainous settlement Keleykhudat located in remote mountain district at the bottom of Gizil Gaya mountain – a place of residing of Turkish speaking ethnographic group of Azerbaijan people with a special household way of life;
- Excursion (2 days) in high-mountainous Sehyub settlement, with the purpose of survey of the rests of early-medieval zoroastric facilities – “The Silence Tower” / “Dakhma” / - (local name -“Sehyub Galasi”) and a cave sanctuary “Pir Banovsha Nene”, and also acquaintance with a special ethnographic life and a language dialect of local Azerbaijanians-mountaineers “Denme”;
- Excursion (1-2 days) in mountain settlements Gonagkend, Puchug, Yukhary Dehne with the purpose of acquaintance with an ethnographic way of life and features of a dialect of a nationality “tats”-muslims;
- Excursion (1-2 days) in mountain settlement Orduch to a waterfall on the Malt river;
- Excursion (1-2 days) in mountain settlements Firig, Puchug, Atuch with the purpose of acquaintance with a life and vital way of ethnographic group of Azerbaijan people – “tats” muslims – distant descendants of immigrants from area Sham / Siria;
- Excursion (1-2 days) in mountain settlements Rustov, Ashagi and Yukhari Hanagya, Girdah / Kurdah / and Zikhir (an exotic canyon of the Chagadjugchay river on a piece between Yukhari Hanagya and Grdah settlements, a cave sanctuary “Pir Yeddiler” at a sole of a rocky slope in a southern part of Alichapandag hill (2014 m.) and the rests of a medieval fortress in Garanlig natural boundary on the right woody party of the Canyon of the Garachay river to northwest from Zikhir settlement);
- Excursion (1 day) in Serhor, Sebetler, Chichi, Razaler settlements with the purpose of the organization of walks on virgin large forests, survey of ancient cemeteries and burial places of the medieval period, and also acquaintance to a life of local residents;
- Excursion (1-2 days) in Amsar, Ermeki, Digeh and Alich settlements (survey of attractive hillsides-woody of Garachay river ravine, a foot output to mountain lake Dibsiznour on Gazmalar ridge (1333 m.), to lake Beyuknour and in reserve pine grove in bottom, east part of “Hadji Chakhin magali” natural boundary, and also survey of the bottom part of the “Garanlig” Canyon on the Garachay river);
- Excursion (1 day) in Pusta-Gasim, Guneymagla, Bud and Shuduh settlements (acquaintance to a life of local residents, national crafts / pottery manufacture, mountain gardening, the pedestrian walks on mountain-woody district);
- Excursion (1 day) in mountain settlement Ispik (survey of original architecture of ancient mountain settlement and an old mosque, acquaintance with vital way and an original language dialect of local ethnographic group of Azerbaijan people, and also the pedestrian walks on mountain-woody district);
- Excursions (1 day) in mountain settlements Gultepe, Ashagi and Yukhari Tulekeran, Мehudj / Мuhudj / (survey of mountain-woody Agshay river ravine, acquaintance to a life and vital way of local ethnographic group of Azerbaijan people, visiting of a sanctuary “Mehudj Piri”);
- Excursion (1 day) to the rests of one of the medieval settlements located on a watershed of the Velvelichay and Chagadjugchay rivers from Din-din mountain settlement and after on northeast up to a highway "Gyandov-Guba" in area of settlement Talabigyshlag:
- Ruins of Bash Talaby;
- Ruins of Bahcha Garahan;
- Ruins of Niha;
- Ruins of Yukhari Harasha;
- Ruins of Kuchey Palas;
- Exotic rock - "finger" above recreation zone “Minara” at entrance to a canyon of the Gudialchay river to area of Kusnetgazma settlement;
- Excursion (1 day) to ruins of medieval Muslim settlement of monks-sufies awards “Nakshbandiyya” Yukhari Sofukend, located on a watershed of Pirvagidchay and Chagadjugchay riverheads between mountain settlements Pusta-Gasim and Ashagy Sofukend to the east of a highway “Guba-Rustov-Gonagkend”;
- Excursion (1 day) in woody gorge of the Guruchay river in mountain settlements Alpan, Uzun Meshe, Girey and Susay and acquaintance with life of local ethnographic group of Azerbaijan people;
- Ethnographic excursion (1 day) in mountain settlements Gimil and Kusnet (acquaintance to vital way, a life and language of local residents “Lezgi” – descendants of one of 26 basic native tribes of the ancient state the Caucasian Albania);
- Archeological excursion to a medieval site of ancient settlement of the period of the Caucasian Albania “Peroj Kavad” in area of Huch Bala, Chartepe, Gasangala, Orta Huch and Ashagi Huch settlements (1-2 days).