Three of the nine climate belts of Azerbaijan are represented in the territory of Ismayilly district - temperate warm with dry winters, temperate warm with uniform precipitation (on the lowlands) and cold with wet winters in the mountains.
The prevalent landscape of the region is mountainous. Local nature is very beautiful with mountains covered in forests, rocks and rivers (Girdiman, Ag-Okh, Geichai) and waterfalls (Galajig - 50 m, Chaigovushan - 30 m, Istisu - 25 m, Burovdal - 50 m. , Mudrusa - 25 m.). There are three natural lakes at the level of 3500 m. near the Babadag mountain . They are not only beautiful, but also provide an excellent place for fishing.
In the territory of the district there is a reserve “Ismayilly” . There are over 40 species of trees and bushes, 170 species of vertebrate animals, including deer, mountain goats, wild boars, bears, wolves, foxes, hares, etc.
Historical-cultural reserves have been established in Lahij and Basgal settlements and many monuments have been taken under the protection of the state.
Lahij is the ancient settlement city type in Ismayilly region - one of the beautiful corners of Azerbaijan Republic , which situated on south slop mountains chain of Big Caucasus ( 1505 m. higher from sea level) .
The geographical location of the mountain town rich in architectural and historical monuments, art craft, developed among the indigenous population did Lahij very famous around the world.
Situated on the bank of Girdiman River, Lahij is surrounded by Babadag and Niyaldagh mountains All of this make its the natural castle. In the old days such geographical area provided to Lahij a good opportunity to protect against external influences and attacks.
The name of Lahij was reminded in writing sources in works of historians in IV-th century B.C. Nowadays the Lahij settlement established as the Istorical -cultural reserve and many monuments have been taken under the protection of the state. Nearly hundred historical and cultural monuments which have local significance, exist in Lahij There are mosques that were built in the XVII-XIX centuries, bridges,springs, baths, built in the XIX century, the amazing archaeological monuments, including: Maiden Tower (XVII century) in the village of Khanega, Fitdag Tower (XVIII century) in Sulut village, old houses and workshops of artisans, opened in the XVIII-XIX centuries and is still used as an artistic studios. This lost in mountains small town is one of the most famous handicraft centers of Azerbaijan. It is famed since olden times as place for production of weapons and copper chased tableware.
Today local craftsmen – braziers, curriers, chasers, potters, smiths, incrustations and engravers in metal and wood, carpet-makers continue the work of their ancestors.
|Direction and distance from Baku in km.|
Аuto road: by buses, minibuses or passenger cars.
Distance: Baku - Gobustan (former Maraza) - Shamakhi – Lahij or Ismayilli
a) Baku - Ismayilly = about 175 km.
b) Baku - Lahij = about 190 km.
c) Ismayilly – Lahij = about 40 km.
|Monuments of history and architecture|
1. Defensive structures of the medieval time for the Shirvanshakhs - the remains of fortresses Niyalgala, Girdmangalasy, "Dzhavanshir galasy» (VII-XVI centuries)
2. The ruins of a defensive structure "Maiden Tower» (VII-IX centuries )
3. Architectural monuments in the State Historical and Cultural Reserve:
- Mosques XVIII-XX cc..
- Springs – (XIX c)
- Baths - (XVII- XIX cc)
- The remains of four ex-storey residential building "Khan Evi»( XVIII-XIX cc).
- The old arched bridge "Lil kerpyusyu" XIX c..
- An old water mill XIX c.
1. Ismayilli State Reserve
2. The mineral sulfur spring "Bado"
3. The lake between Balik and Talysh settlements
4. Mineral and natural sulfur spring near Gychatan and Basgal villages
5. Exotic mountain river canyon Girdimanchay:
|Museums and exhibitions|
1. Historical museum in Ismayilli city
2. Local history museum in an old mosque "Badevun" in the Lahij settlement
Ethnographic villages centers, shopping malls and oriental bazaars
1. Ethnographic villages:
- Lahij , Araghit, Sulut, Basgal , Mudju, Ivanivka, Kirk ect.
Workshops of handicraftsmen and small shops with antiques in the Lahij and in the other settlements of this region
2. Oriental Bazar - market in Ismay?ll? city
3. Basgal - the center of manufacture of silk fabrics for “Kelagai”(coverlets for the womens head).
|Ismailly -Lahij (21 excursion routes)|
1. Excursion in Basgal settlement of handicraftsmen in the center of manufacture of silk fabrics and head coverlets for women – “Kelagai”.
2. An exotic Canyon of the Girdymanchay river and Lagich mountain settlement - the ancient center of craft manufacture.
3. Mountain settlement Ivanovka is a place of moving of Russian sectarians “Molokan” is “a small part of Russia in Azerbaijan”.
4. Defensive facilities of Niyaldag Range – “Niyaldag mudafiya samti” - the period of existence of the medieval Shirvanshakh state (Buzkhana, Haramgala, Fitdaggalasi between Sulut and Mudji settlements; the rests of Niyalgala and Girdymangalasi fortresses between mountain areas Lagij and Zarnava).
5. The rests of a medieval fortress “Javanshir galasy” at Talystan settlement and ruins of defensive facility “Gyz Galasy” in area of Hanagya settlement.
6. Jeep-safari excursion from mountain settlement Lagich upwards on gorge of the mountain river Girdimanchay, through mountain settlements Heftesov and Brovdal to a sanctuary “Nene gebir” in Gurbangya tract to the south of mountain Babadag at the bottom of the Main Caucasian Ridge.
7. Jeep-safari excursion from Ismailly city, upwards on a canyon of the mountain river Girdymanchaj in Lagij settlement, then through mountain settlements Heftesov, Jandakhar, Duvaryan and Koydan on Niyaldag Ridge (Lagij pass / 2062 m /) and further in Demirchi, Pirgulu, Nagarakhana, Chukhur Yurd and Melhem settlements in Shamakhy city.
8. Visiting of Ismailly national park (management of reserve is located in Hanage settlement).
9. A mineral sulfuric source “Bedo” to the right of “Muganly-Ismailly” highway in area of Zergeran and Tirjan settlements.
10. A place of archeological excavations in area of Gyrlar and Sangalan settlements to the left of “Muganly-Ismailly” highway.
11. Lake in mountain gorge to the left of “Ismailly-Garamaryam” highway between Balyk and Talysh settlements.
12. Ethnographic excursion in places of compact settling of “Shirvan Lezgins” - Sumagally, Istisu and Galajik settlements.
13. Ethnographic excursion in a place of settlement of “Shirvan Jews” – Muji-Hefteran settlement.
14. Ethnographic excursion in places of compact settling of ethnographic group of Azerbaijan people – nationalities “Khypytly/ Gryz /” – descendants of one of 29 tribes of the ancient state the Caucasian Albania –Hajihetemli and Mollaisahly settlements.
15. Ethnographic excursion in places of compact settling of ethnographic group of Azerbaijan people – nationality “Tats-muslims” (Gushynja, Julyan, Buynus settlements, etc.).
16. The rests of the Albanian Christian temples in Hansa, Kirk, Rushan and Vyang / Vank settlements.
17. A small waterfall Gyor-Gor on the right side of Gekchay river’s ravine (about 10 km above current, from Chaygoushan and Buynus settlements.
18. A mineral sulfuric source and natural outputs of combustible gases at Gichatan settlement in area of Basgal settlement.
19. A place of an output of combustible slates “Ateshgeh” at Heftesov settlement on the right part of Girdimanchay river’s gorge in area of Lagij settlement.
20. Gyokchay reserve (to the east of canyon of Gyokchay river – so-called “Gyokchay pass”, area to the south of Hoshavant mountain / 717 m / and area to the west of Molla Isakhly settlement in Ismailly area.
21. Places of archeological excavations in Kalagekh area and Haji Hetemli /Gajigadamly settlements in Ismailly area.