Gabala district with administrative center in Gabala city adjoining Tarandagh mountains is a unique and the most beautiful region of Azerbaijan, practically on the border of Dagestan (Russia) and Georgia. Its main sight is ancient Gabala, the ruins of which are 15 km away from the new town. Gabala was mentioned in scripts of first century and was the capital of Caucasian Albania for 600 years.
Modern Gabala city is located on the bank of Damiraparanchay river and has a nice view on the snowy peaks of Greater Caucasus. Gabala district with its rivers, chestnut and walnut grove and mineral springs is the ideal place for leisure. Moreover, there are dozens of monuments of old times, including Albanian temple (IV-VII centuries), ruins of the ancient defense tower (IX-XI cc.), tower Ustajan (IX-XIV cc.), a number of mausoleums and other historical sights. . Close to Gabala, on the Yaloylu mountain there was a settlement of ancient man dated III-I centuries B.C. Different items made of stone, bronze and gold witness their existence. In other words, if you are interested in antiquities you will find things to look at here!
Nidj - the settlment of udins nation and situated not far from Gabala and is known of its unique architectural monument of the Caucasian Albania- Udin Temple. The udins are absolutely special ethnic group who are considered descendants of Alabanians (currently, the population no more than 10,000). They have managed to preserve their traditions, language, material and spiritual culture up to now. Just recently the temple has been restored and today it is open for church-goers and for the tourists wishing to witness the most ancient landmarks of Azerbaijan. The temple was constructed in XVII -XVIII centuries on the place of an ancient Albanian church which had been built in IV c. at will St. Eliseus ( the Christian ecclesiast in the Caucasian Albania) and this temple has been named after him.
|Direction and distance from Baku in km.|
By auto road: by buses, minibuses or passenger cars.
Distance: Baku-Gobustan-Shamakhy–Ismayilli-Gabala = about 225 km.
The flight: Baku - Gabala = about 40 minutes
a) Transfer by car Gabala (airport) – Gabala city center = about 20 minutes
b) Transfer by car Gabala (airport) - Nidj settlement = about 25 minutes
|Monuments of history and architecture|
1. The complex of mausoleums (XV-XVI centuries.) near Hezre village
2. Udins and Albanian Christian churches in the Nidj village :
- Jotaari kilsyasi / renovated /
- Boulogne kilsyasi
- Gay kilsyasi / debris /
3. Buildings of the medieval architecture in the Gabala city :
- The ruins of the old defensive fortress IX-XIII centuries.
- The tomb and mausoleum XIII-XIX centuries. on the Big City Cemetery
- The tomb and mausoleum "Imam Baba" XIII-XIX centuries. in the city cemetery
1. Waterfall "Ag Gaya" (about 10 km. Above the gorge of the village Wandam)
2. Small cascading waterfall "Eddie Gozel" around Ruskan settlement
3. Lake / reservoir / dam Nour (10 km away. east of the town of Gabala)
4. Turianchai nature reserve and exotic river gorge Turianchay
5. The peaks on the Main Caucasian Ridge( h= more then 4000 m.)
|Museums and exhibitions|
1. Historical museum in the Gabala city
2. The memorial museum of the famous writer and educator of the XIX century. Major-General
Russian army Ismail bey Gudgashynly
1. The ancient sanctuary-feast "Shiekh Baba» (XVI-XX centuries.) in Gamzaly village
2. The old "Juma" mosque (1899-1906 .) in the center of Gabala city
3. Eight-sided mosque "Sakkizgushali meschidi" (XIX c..) in Gabala city
1. The archaeological excavations at an archaeological site "Kabalaka" near the village” Chukhur Gabala
2. The remains of a circular Albanian Christian church on the hill Kilsadag
3. Archaeological sites in the Wandam village:
- An old cemetery (the end of the Middle Ages)
- Medieval burial "Gyaur sandyg" etc.
|Ethnographic villages, handicraft workshops and shopping centers|
1. Nidj village - settlement of ethnic "Udin"
2. Potters in the village Kyusnyat
3. Venture for the production of pianos in Gabala
4. Venture for the production of wine products near the Savalan..village
5. Preparation of fruit vodka in the Nidj village
6. Orient market (bazar) at the lower edge in Gabala city
|Tours and excursions|
1. City tour around Gabala
2. Auto-walking tour (0.5 days) with a visit :
Nour lake, waterfall "Eddie Gozel", complex mausoleums near the village Hezre, the Christian church in Nidj village and settlement "Kabalaka" near the Chukhur Gabala village
3. Excursion to the amusement park "Gabala lend"
4. Tour (2 hours) in Gabala plant for the production of pianos
5. Tour (3 hours) to the plant for the production of wine in the village Savalan
|Gabala (30 excursion routes)|
1. A complex of the medieval mausoleums on an ancient cemetery at Hezre settlement in Gabala area.
2. Computing center “Daryal” (Gabala radar station) in area of Soltan Nukha, Beyuk and Kichik Emili settlements (panoramic survey from the certain distance).
3. “Ag Gaya” waterfall on the left part of Vyandamchay river’s ravine (about 10 km above gorge from Vyandam settlement.
4. A cascade waterfall “Yeddi Gozel” in vicinities of Rusken settlement in Gabala area.
5. A small waterfall on the Durjachay river in area of Durja settlement (above on ravine, above on current in 1 km) in Gabala area.
6. A waterfall on the right inflow of Demiraparanchay river (opposite Bayangaya rock, on the right part of ravine), in 2 km above current from Leze / Laza, Lasar /.
7. A waterfall “Machehchadur” / “Michihskiy” / on the Piramizchay river (the left inflow of the Demiraparanchay river) in area of territory where nomads roam and ruins of Beyuk Machih settlements, about 15 km to the north from Gabala mountains.
8. A waterfall on Seyittarchay river (the right inflow of Demiraparanchay river) at the place where nomads roam of Seyitter yaylagi, opposite Bala Machih about 16 km to the north from the Gabala city.
9. Lake / water reservuare / Nour and a dam in area of Nour Gyshlag settlement in 10 km to the east from Gabala city.
10. Short sightseeing tour (1 hour) over Gabala city.
11. Historical-study of local lore museum in Gabala city.
12. A place of archeological excavations on a medieval site of ancient settlement “Kabalaka” / “Gabala”, “Kvebelek” / (“Selbir” and “Geur Gala”) in area of Chukhur Gabala settlement, in 5 km to the south from Mirzebeyli settlement at “Gabala-Zragan-Oguz” highway.
13. A place of archeological excavations of the Antique site of ancient settlement “Kabalaka” in “Chaggally” tract in 1 km to the West from Beyuk Emili settlement.
14. The rests of a round Albanian Christian temple on mountain to the north from Beyuk Emili settlement.
15. A sanctuary “Pir Jomrad Baba” on mountain, 624 m in east part of Jomrad / Chomrad, Komrad ridge to the north from Zirik settlement in Gebele area.
16. Ruins of Chanakhbulag settlement to the south-west of Kurd settlement.
17. Fish-farming (steel-headed salmon) factory on Garasu river in Chukhur Gebele settlement in Gabala area.
18. Ethnographic excursion in Nij settlement of Gebele area - a place of compact settling of a nationality “Udins” - one of 29 basic native tribes of the ancient state the Caucasian Albania.
19. Udin (Albanian) Christian temples / three / in Nij settlement of Gabala area.
20. The rests of the Albanian Christian temples in Mirzebeyli and Soltan Nukha settlements in Gabala area.
21. Excursion in Turianchay reserve and exotic Turianchay river’s gorge (so-called “Savalan pass”) between Savalan and Turianchay settlements in the western part of Akhar-Bahar ridge.
22. Turianchay hydrounit (a small dam, a water reservuare and hydro-power station) on Turianchay river at one-nominal settlement in Gabala area.
23. Historical “Albanian pass”; a site of ancient settlement “Kabalaka” - area of Kurd settlement – foothill tract Gash Duzi – east part of Akhar-Bahar ridge on height 660 m – Arsanchay river’s gorge – pass to east part of Gavdandere / Geodandere ridge on ravine Alvanderesi up to northern suburb of Geychay city.
24. Ruins of a medieval observant tower “Hosrov Galasy” on Surkhay khan mountain (647 m.) in the central part of Akhar-Bahar ridge in the part between two rivers of the Turianchay and Gyokchay rivers in Gabala area.
25. The rests of the medieval settlements located in Gabala area to northwest from Amirvan settlement: - ruins of Yukhary Balyh, Beylerkend and Syrt Yengija.
26. A place of archeological excavations in Bum settlement to the west of the Gabala city.
27. A thermal mineral sulfuric source “Istisu” in riverheads of Garachay and spring “Chemcha bulag” in a southern part of Gardan tract in 5 km to the north of Gemervan in Gabala area.
28. Plantations of cultural plantings of Pomegranate (Nar) in area of Bygyr settlement in a foothill part of Geokchay area.
29. An ancient sanctuary-pir in Hemzeli settlement in Gebele area.
30. Excursion automobile rally at the bottom southwest slopes of the Main Caucasian Ridge and in its foothills: - Shamakhy – Muganly – Muganly pass – “Hasan khan bagy” tract (radial departure to Basgal settlement) – “Bedo” mineral sulfuric source in area of Zergeran and Tirjan settlements – Girdimanchay river’s gorge (radial departure to Lagich settlement) – Talystan (a radial output to ruins of “Javanshir gala” fortress) – Ismailly (radial departure to Ivanovka settlement) – Khanage (radial departure to recreation zone “Gyz Galasy” tract - Topchu (walking in “Shirvan meshe” wood with survey of old thrown cemetery in area of Buynus settlement) – Sumagally (radial departure to recreation zone “Green House” on the right part of Geokchay river’s gorge in “May deresi” / “Gozdukh” tract) – Bunud (radial departure to Hezre settlement to a complex of the medieval mausoleums) – Vyandam (radial departure to a restricted zone “Duyma” and to “Ag Gaya” falls in Vyandamchay river’s gorge) – “Selbasar” motel (radial departure to cascade waterfalls “Yeddi Gozel” in area of Rusken settlement) – Nourgyshlag (a panorama of Nour lake) – Gabala (radial departure to rest zones “Ay Ishigy” and “Khanlar”, and also in mountain settlements Durja and Leze) – Zaragan – (radial departure to Mirzabeyli settlement and to the ancient settlement “Kabalaka” at Chukhur Gabala settlement) – Savalan (exotic Turianchay river’s gorge) – Turianchay (hydrounit and a water reservuare) – Agdash – Geychay – Garamaryam – Agsu.