The ancient town Shamakhy is situated 120 km. west of Baku on the southern slopes of the Big Caucasus Mountains (height about 800 m.). Founded in the VI- th c. A.D., the city became the capital of the rulers of the influential and powerful principality of Shirvan. The Present Shamakhy district is the center of the ancient Shirvan, the former state of Shirvanshahs, a historical area of Azerbaijan. Despite numerous earthquakes - one of the most dramatic took place in Pirgulu in 1902 -an important number of historical monuments has remained. Among them, the Juma (Friday-mosque which dates from the X- th century, the Yeddi Gumbez (“Seven Domes”) mausoleum built in 1402, and the ruins of the fortress of Gulistan, which go back to the XII and the XII-th century. For a long time, Shamakhy was one of the most important stop-overs on the Silk Route. It has also been the birth place of a considerable number of Azeri poets, philosophers, architects and scientists such as Khagani (XII-th c.), Nasimi (XIVth c.) and Sabir (1862-1911).
In 1956, at the hight of 1435 meters above sea level near Pirgulu village, was built Shamakhy Astrophysical Observatory (SAO) named after Nasreddin Tusi. The work of the Observatory has three main directions: physics of the Sun, physics of variable stars and physicsand dynamics of solids in the Sun System. The natural environment of the Shamakhi district is rich in forests and meadows and has a mild and pleasant climate. In the territory of the district located
Pirgulu.Nature Reserve. It was established in 1968. The reserve's flora includes 45 rare and endemical plant species, many of which included in the Red List.
|Direction and distance from Baku in km.|
By auto road: by buses , minibuses or passenger cars.
Distance: Baku-Gobustan (former Maraza)-Shamakhy = 120 km.
Monuments of history and architecture
1. The complex of medieval mausoleums "Eddie Gumbez» (XVIII - XIX centuries.)- near Shamakhy city and in Kalyahana village
2. The ruins of the medieval fortress "Gulistan» (VIII-XV centuries.)-near Hinisly village
3. The remains of the fortress "Kale-and-Bugur" (XII-XV centuries.)
4. Cave settlement "Galaja" in the Ekahana village
1. The medieval village "Geylar" and the old cemetery (ancient period) in the Dag Geylar village 2. Medieval settlement "Tepe dibi" (the ancient period) and the ancient necropolis "Pirya Baghdad" in Chel Geylyar village
3. Archaeological excavations in the ruins of a medieval fortress "Angyaharan" in the village with same name
4. Archaeological excavations at the site of the ancient city “Chamakh” in the vicinity of the city Shamakhy (ancient period and the Middle Ages)
1. Natural Reserve "Pirgulu" ( mountains,Jangin and Janut forests) near the Chukhur Yurd, Sis, Nagarakhana, Pirgulu and Avahyl villages
2. Sulphurous thermal mineral spring "Bedo
3. Panorama of the river Aghsu, gorges and mountains of the Niyaldag Ridge on the road Muganli-Ismailly
|Museums and exhibitions|
1. The Local History Museum in Shamakhi
2. The house-museum of the great Azerbaijan poet Mirza Alakbar Sabir (1862-1911)
3. Shamakhi Astro-Physical Observatory in Pirgulu settlement
1. Cathedral mosque "Juma meschidi" (VIII - XXI centuries). in Shamakhi city
2. The mausoleum "Diri Baba" in the Gobustan region
3. Mosque of Abu Bakr and complex springs in the village Sunde
4. Sanctuary "Pirsagat" on the road "Baku-Shamakhy"
5. Sanctuary in the field of archaeological excavations in the necropolis "Shakhargyah"
(Early Middle Ages) in the village of Bagirli
|Ethnographic villages centers, shopping malls and oriental bazaars|
1. Ethnographic villages:Avahyl, Kaleybugurd, Keshmyadin, Galadaresi - settlements of Turkish tribes - the descendants of the ancient "Caucasian Albania";
2. Ethnic Russian sectarians "Molokans" in the villages: Chukhur Yurd, Gizmeydan (Astrakhanovka) Hilmilli and the sectarians"Baptists" in: Nagarakhana (Marevka) Village
3. Carpet weavers, tanners and other masters of folk handicrafts at the local markets in Shamakhy
|Maraza – Shamakhy – Agsu (37 excursion routes)|
1. A panorama of a mountain plateau from “Baku - Shamakhy” highway on 60th km in area of Jengi settlement in Gobustan area;
2. Sanctuaries-pirs “Shaiblar” – “Gaiblar” at one-nominal mountain’s peaks at Jeyran-kechmez settlement in Gobustan area;
3. Diri Baba mausoleum in Maraza settlement in Gobustan area;
4. “Galacha” cave settlement in Yekehana settlement at Pirsagatchay river;
5. “Abu Bekr” mosque and a complex of springs at Sundi settlement;
6. A sanctuary-pir “Pirsaat” at “Baku-Shamakhy” highway in area of the bridge through the Pirsagatchay river;
7. Brief sightseeing tour (till 1 o\'clock) in Shamakhy city;
8. Complex of “Yeddi Gumbez” mausoleums in Shamakhy city;
9. Complex of the mausoleums at Kelehana settlement;
10. Excursion “Wine growing and winemaking” in Shamakhy city;
11. Excursion in “Pirgulu” reserve (Jenge wood, Pirgulu mountain and Janut wood) in area of Chuhur Yurd, Dedegunesh, Sis, Nagarakhana, Pirgulu and Avahil settlements;
12. Excursion in Shamakhy astro-physical Observatory named by academician Mamedaliyev in Pirgulu settlement;
13. Visiting of “Alchaly Pir” sanctuaries at Pirgulu settlement and on one-nominal “Pirgulu” mountain (1483 m.);
14. Excursion in Demerchi settlement of handicraftsmen and on the same mud volcano in area of “Mustafaly” tract;
15. Visiting of “Gulustan” medieval fortress’ ruins in vicinities of Hynysly settlement;
16. Survey of the rests of medieval fortress “Kale-i-Burug” in area of Keshmedin Galaderesi settlements;
17. Ethnographic excursion in settlements of former Russian immigrants-sectarians: Chukhur Yurd, Hilmilli and Astrakhanovka / Gizmeydan / - molokans, and also in Nagarakhana / Maryevka, Kirovka / - subbotniks and baptists;
18. Ethnographic excursion in the remote mountain settlement Zarat-Heyberi in a place of moving of tats-muslims – ethnographic group of Azerbaijan people;
19. Ethnographic excursion in Medrese settlement in the place of moving of the compelled immigrants of turks-meshetins;
20. Excursion to the rests of medieval Albanian Christian temples in Medrese, Sagiyan, Kerkench and Meysari settlements;
21. A sulfuric thermal mineral source “Bedo” on the left side of Agsuchay river’r gorge in area of Chagan settlement;
22. A panorama of mountain gorge of Agsu river and mountains of Niyaldag ridge from “Muganly-Ismailly” highway in area of Muganly pass at one-nominal settlement;
23. Excursion “Gobustan is the country of mountains, ravines and mud volcanos”;
24. Carpet weaving and carpet manufacture in Shamakhy region;
25. A monument of architecture “Juma mosque” in Shamakhy region;
26. Excursion in M.A.Sabir\'s house-museum in Shamakhy region;
27. Excursion “A.Hagani Shirvani is the great poet of the Middle Ages”;
28. Auto-excursion to the place of archeological excavations “Haraba Sheher” at Ulguch settlement in Agsu area;
29. Complex (auto-foot) excursion to ruins of the “Hezine Gala” / “Torpag Gala” fortress at Beimli settlement in Agsu area;
30. The mausoleum "Sheikh Dursun" in Agsu city;
31. A sanctuary (Khanage) “Pir Mardakan” on Lengibiz ridge;
32. Excursion jeep-safari from Pirgulu settlement through Niyaldag ridge (Lagich pass / 2062 m/) in Lagich settlement;
33. Excursion jeep-safari from Chuhur Yurd settlement through Gizmeydan and Pirbeyli settlements to Salavatka pass (1620 m.) on the Main Caucasian ridge.
34. Jeep-safari excursion from Shamakhy region through Melikchobanly and Dag Geyler settlements on Lengebi ridge (700 m.) and further in Chyol Geyler settlement and Ajigabul city.
35. Jeep-safari excursion from Narimankend settlement through Arabgedim settlement and the area of mud volcano Akhtarma (545 m.) on the territory of Adjiveli where nomads roam and area of Umbaki mountain (460 m.) and further to Cheildag and Sangachal settlements.
36. Jeep-safari excursion from Chuhur Yurd settlement in settlement Kaleybugurd, further downwards on Agsuchay river’s gorge, then in Kelva, Sulut, Basgal settlements and further through Nuydi and Gurjivan settlements in Agsu city.
37. Ethnographic excursion in Padar settlement – settlement of one ethnographic breeding group of turkis-Azerbaijanians.