How to get
By bus - Scheduled bus Baku-Zagatala – 9 hours; By train - Baku-Barda-Balakan
Zagatala district is allocated on the north-west of Azerbaijan, at rocked bed slopes of the Big Caucasus. On the north-east part, the area is bounded with Dagestan Republic of Russian Federation, on the west and on the east - relevantly with Balaken and Gakh districts. Landscape being existed in the north and northeast sides is mountain, and in the south and southwest is flatted. The highest point is Guton mountain (3648 m). Climate at the plain is warm, in mountains - cold. The mid temperature of January on the plain - 1 C, in mountains - 10 C, mid temperature of July accordingly +24 C and +5 C. Level of precipitation constitutes 600-1600 mm a year. Half of the territory of the area is occupied with woods, basically, in mountains. It grows rare the most valuable types of trees: chestnuts, hazelnuts, nuts, filbert, oak, beech, hornbeam, garagaj and others. At the plain, the greenery is privilege like bushes. Noble deer, it is habituated pheasant, snowbird, partridge, turaj, mountain eagle, hawk, nightingale and others.
Having founded in 1929 Zagatala national park occupies part of the area territory. Square of the reserve constitutes 23844 Hectares. In the National park, it is forbidden to carry out any economic activity, but there are conditions available for ecological tourism. Having making walk tour or on horses upon tourist routes one may watch animals and birds habituated in reserves, make camera shooting and photo. At the aforesaid routes there are places where tourists might have relaxation term and to stay at night. It is presumably hunting on pheasant and water floating bird and running to such animals as wild bore, hare. In outskirts of Gas village, you may have skating in winter. Zagatala - international region. Herein in conjunction with Azerbaijanis, there live representatives of more than 20 nations: Avars, Tsakhurs, Russian, Lezghins, Tatars, Ingiloys and others.
On the territory of the area there were kept numerous architectural and historical memorials. Among them: mosques of XVIII centuries in Gezbarakh and Galal villages; tower of XII century and mosque of XVIII century in Mazikh village; two monuments of XIV century in Kebeloba village; Peri tower in Yukhari Chardakhlar village; albanian tower of XIII century in Pashan village; Chingezgala tower of XIV century in Jar village; Albanian tower of XII century in Akhakhdere village; Juma-mosque of XIX century in I Tala village; mosques of XIX century in many villages, inclusive in villages of Mosul and Aliabad. District center, Zagatala city is allocated at height of 535 meters over the sea level, on Talachay riverbank. They suppose that the name of Zagatala is originated from transformation of the name "Zaki talasi" (Zaki glade), on behalf of man, who the first with his family is founded at that territory. Climatic conditions of Zagatala are allowed to transfer the city into mountain climatic resort. There is park of culture and recreation occupying square of 14 Hectares. Beside the park there is allocated ancient fortress, having been built in period of late medieval age, in which seamen from armadillo "Potemkin" had stayed under guard warriors. To participant of rebel S.Demashko there is monument had been set up in the park of culture and resort. In one of picturesque corners of the city there is installed memorial dedicated to S.Gaziyeva - the first woman - mechanical man, being sat at the wheel of cotton picker car. In the city there is interesting natural monument to exist - tree, age of which makes 800 years.
1.Survey excursion (1-2 hours) over Zagatala / Zagataly/ city
2. Excursion in historical-study of local lore museum of Zagatala city.
3. Old (now – a historical-study of local lore museum) / departure city in direction to Zagatala / and New (operating) / georgian-ingiloid Christian churches in Gakh city.
4. Muslim mosques in areas of Zagatala settlement:
- Jar (XVIII-XIX centuries)
- Chobangoba (beginning of XX century)
- Gegem (ХIХ century)
- Dardoggaz (ХIХ century)
- Tala I (ХIХ century)
- Mukhah (ХIХ century)
- Matsekh (ХIХ century)
- Gabizdere (ХIХ century)
- Beretbina (ХIХ century)
- Uzuntala (ХIХ century)
- Pashan (beginning of XX century)
- Makov (ХIХ century)
- Oytala (ХIХ century)
- Yolayryj (ХIХ century)
- Danachi (beginning of XX century)
- Asgagy Chardaglar (ХIХ century)
- Tala (ХIХ century)
- Yukhary Chardaglar (ХIХ century)
- Gargay (ХIХ century)
- Galal (XVIII century)
- Kebeloba / Kebeoba / (ХIХ century)
- Mamrukh (XVII century)
- Gyozparag (XVIII century)
- Chobankol (ХIХ century)
- Gymyr / Kymyr / (ХIХ century)
- Lagych (ХIХ century)
- Аliabad (ХIХ century)
- Mosul (XVIII-XIX centuries)
- Faldar (ХIХ century)
- Yengiyyan (beginning of XX century)
- Zagatata city (memorable / turkish / the mosque in Byzantian style, built in 2000), and also “Beyuk Mesjid” / “The Greater mosque” /.
5. The Polish Catholic church in Zagatala city centre.
6. Excursion in museum of local lore of Zagatala reserve.
7. Fortifications of former Zagatala fortress.
8. The rests of Albanian Christian church in Kilsechay head river Balakan and Zagatala areas.
9. Special /characteristic for the given area / architecture of houses in Tala settlement, and also an apartment house with “Chingiz gala” tower and the Fighting Tower in Jar settlement in Zagatala area.
10. Excursions on industrial enterprises of Zagatala area:
- Combine of radio oils and curative plant growing, and also a plantation of valuable raw material – Gazanlyg / Kazanlyk roses;
- Perfumery-cosmetic factory “Gulshan”;
- Tea factory and tea plantations;
- A factory on fermentations of tobacco and tobacco plantations
- A factory on processing nuts and plantations of walnut and a filbert;
11. The complex combined (auto-horse-foot) excursion in Zagatala reserve in Zagatala and Balakan areas.
12. Excursion motor rally with survey of architectural monuments of medieval Albanian architecture and defensive tower constructions in Gakh and Zagatala areas on route: Ilisu – Gakh – Gum – Lekit – Zerne – Gulluk – Gyozparagt – Mamrukh – Chobankol – Mukhah – Tala – Zagatala – Jar.
13. Excursion jeep-safari from Zagatala city or Mukhah area upwards on Mukhahchay, Garachay and Galalchay / Kalalchay.